Sure, you can write with nothing but a pen and a pile of blank paper. After all, theres no doubt that some of the greatest books, essays and novels of all time have been written that way many years ago.
Writing can be very fun once you start to play with your thoughts and let your imagination run endlessly about a certain topic that was given to you. When that happens, you will find a lot of words to describe and create a better flow and concept for your written articles. That way, you find easy to write as you fully understand what the topic is all about.
On the other hand, it can also be very hard in your part and for those who find writing as a difficult task to do especially if you ran out of words to express your thoughts within your articles. As your mind works hard in order to complete your writing tasks, you should be supplied with the right tools and equipments for writing. You might never notice it but writing tools have been a great help in order for you to work conveniently.
Theres no reason, however, to restrict you to such meager supplies. Its a modern world, after all, with a veritable treasure trove of tools and equipment that can help streamlines your writing life.
1. A good desk. Every writer needs a good work area, so invest in a sturdy desk with enough space to accommodate your computer setup comfortably. Similarly, make sure theres an empty area where you can review books and printouts, as well as occasionally handwrite stuff, in case youre in the mood for that.
2. A mid-range computer. If youre going to use a machine primarily for writing, you wont need one of those high-end systems. A low-voltage laptop with one of the lower-end CPUs should handle all the processing power you require.
3. A word processing software. Invest in a good one. Free software like AbiWord or Open Office Writer are decent, but lack the heavy feature set available in Microsoft Offices suite. The last thing you want is to suddenly develop a need for a capability and not have it available to you. In case youre interested, my personal favorite software for writing is Microsoft Office OneNote. I recommend it to everyone. Just a note: regardless of what software you pick, make sure you have a way of converting it to a Word-compatible format.
4. A good writing improvement software. While Word will have its own spell and grammar checker, we find dedicated writing software to be a much more effective solution on the long-term. Not only do they have more features (e.g. style checkers, programmability), theyll also tend to play better with a variety of tools in your computer.
5. Standard office machines. You want to have regular office equipment on there, from faxes, landlines, answering machines and such. If youre more tech-savvy, you can arrange for all the same conveniences right on your PC, though, so that can save a whole lot in initial equipment.
Related articles you may find interesting: