Does your dog snarls or growls when you or another dog approach him while eating? What can you do to prevent this aggressive behavior? Below are tips to prevent unlikely incidents from happening.
You love your pet very much but he shows signs of aggression in the presence of food. Food aggression is a negative behavior in dogs to guard and to protect their food from predators. Even though it is a common trait in animals to protect their food, it can lead to other behavioral problems if you failed to address it at their early stage.
It is a dangerous behavior that occurs when your pet becomes territorial in their food. Aggression can be manifested through snapping, growling and biting to anyone or any other animals who attempts to go near their food bowl. As pet owner, it is your responsibility to correct this behavior because you are putting family members, visitors and other animals at risk of injuries. Moreover, aggressive behavior is more like to develop into violent behavior.
Before you start your task in curbing such behavior, you should know first what causes them.
Reasons why some dogs are food aggressive:
1. Desperate behavior He protects his food because he does not know when he can get their food again.
2. He sees you, other animals and other individuals as a threat to him, someone who will take his food away.
3. He is confused as to who the leader between you and him. To establish yourself as a leader, you should study and should impose training methods.
4. He does not understand that his aggressiveness is not an acceptable behavior. In such case, there is a communication breakdown between you and him.
Ways of correcting their aggressive behavior:
1. If his aggressiveness occurs in the presence of other dogs, you should separate them during meal time. Feed them in different areas and in different feeding bowls.
2. You should involve other family members in the task to convey the same message that you and other members of the family are his boss.
3. Schedule his feeding time.
4. Make him earn any food by requesting him to get something, to sit or to behave properly before you put their food bowl.
5. Train puppies to be familiar with other people around while feeding them.
6. Feed him after you and your family have eaten your meal. By doing so, you instill in his mind that leaders eat first technique.
7. Do not respond aggression by another aggression because it puts you into battle.
8. Do not bully or intimidate him during his meal time.
Food aggression training tips:
1. Whatever steps you undertake, be careful in doing so.
2. Try to hand feed his meal.
3. Try to calm him by stroking his fur while he is eating. Try to talk to him in a calm voice.
4. You should stand at a distance that he is comfortable with and gradually decrease the distance over time. Give him some food treats as you decrease the distance between you and him.
5. Try to put the feeding bowl empty. By doing so, he will beg you to put food in it.
6. Do not give his full meal. Hold back some pieces and once he finished eating the food inside his bowl, he will beg you to add another food.
7. Every time you pass by him, make an effort to drop his favorite dog treat. By doing this, he will welcome your presence when you approach him.
8. While eating, call him and give him a reward.
By following the tips above, you can reduce your dogs aggressive behavior.
No related articles.